We’re only 5 ½ months in and 2011 has already established itself as a huge year for big domain sales. This is great news for a variety of reasons but mostly because I said so. A slew of recent six figure sales not only shows outsiders that our little “hobbie” is still big business, it also reinvigorates us – the domainers. Yep, there is something in the water and I like it.
The idea that someone can buy and then flip a domain name for a huge profit is the
fantasy reason many of us began domaining in the first place. Its exciting. Its inspiring and it gives me green goosebumps.
So here I am, grabbing you by the collar and dragging you over to a list of domain sales – screaming – get excited too! Get excited about DOMAIN NAMES!!!
Here are my favourite big domain sales of 2011:
- RunningShoes.com - Sold for $700,000, on 4/27/2011 – This is a big one. A keyword domain name with first page presence and a very specific application. I’m surprised it went for so little. Why? Because the words “Running Shoes” get typed into search engines (or address bars) the second a person decides to shop for a new brand of runners.
- Mariage.com – Sold for $129,720, on 3/30/2011 – Typo in English. Marriage in French. I like this sale for a couple reasons. 1: Its a reminder that we live in a big world, where English isn’t everything and non English domains can equal big sales (think outside the language people). 2: This could have easily been a typo domain, that any one of us owned. Which is encouraging.
- OnlineKredit.net – Sold for $131,000, on 1/5/2011 – The Mortal Kombat of credit websites. This one delights me. I really like the non .com aspect of the sale. It also proves that .net is still an important part of what we do. Another good European sale.
- AutoInsurance.org – Sold for $440,000, on 4/6/2011 – Great to see a .org go for almost half a million. I wonder what the new owner(s) will do with it? #sarcasm
- GamesForGirls.com – Sold for $500,000, on 2/23/2011 – Brandable and a key search phrase. An average of 43K visits per month proves that thousands of people are looking to busy their kids with video games OR turn their girlfriends into gamers. Well done men.
To the sellers: congratulations. To the buyers: please make something beautiful with your new names and to the rest of you: If these sales don’t excite you, check your head!
What do you think? Does reading about these sales get pump you up?
Incidentally, I have several quality domain names for sale in my domain portfolio. Just saying.
About this post:
- I did research. So thank you to Namebio.com, Domaining.com, DNJournal.com and the Internet.
- I chose MY favourite domain name sales of 2011. Not yours and not necessarily the highest sales.
- I used the word slew. Which was fun and refreshing.
- Hello World Domains always appreciates a link or a tweet. If you liked this post, please share it.